Thursday, October 25, 2012

Reflections on my Gotham experience

When i registered for the class, i did it because i wanted a class that was stress free and one that would not require a lot of papers and other assignments on top of my other nursing classes. I remember our first day of class to Queens and i started to have regrets about taking the class because of all the walking we were doing in the sun but as we progressed through the classes, my whole mind set changed. I have been living in Queens for 12 years now and never took the initiative to explore it mainly because people usually associate finding things to do in the city. After exploring Queens, i was surprised of all the many different things that are there to explore such as the Queens Museum of the Moving Image. I really enjoyed going there because of the history that i learned about it and to also know that that area was the Hollywood back in the days like who would have thought that?.
Next it was Brooklyn; i guess you can say most people associate crimes with Brooklyn and i have been there a few times but never to hang out, it was always in and out. My favorite part during our Brooklyn exploration was going to Coney Island; the weather was perfect that day and it just made me feel relaxed because everyone was going about their business and enjoying the beautiful day and weather. I also liked the fact that Mike let us explored on our own and we got to go to the Flea Market and do a little jewelry shopping. Even though the day consisted of a lot of walking and exploration, i enjoyed it.
Now off to exploring the Enchanting Eastside. Being in the Eastside and exploring everything it has to offer was breathtaking especially walking through Central Park.My favorite part of the day was going to the Met Museum. I shocked myself that i actually enjoyed going there because i don't like museums or art but i found myself drawn to some of the pieces that were there especially Warhol's  art exhibition.
I wasn't too crazy about Williamsburg because it reminded me so much of LIC. I think just seeing LIC will do. Only thing that i liked about the day was visiting the Sketchbook Museum Project. The whole idea behind the museum is captivating because it allows people to express themselves and allow other people to see their talents. The rest of the two classes, Harlem and Lower Manhattan i enjoyed to a certain degree; i just felt tortured going to the art galleries especially in Lower Manhattan. I couldn't see the art through any of the pieces that i saw even though i tried to fake it.My favorite class was my last :(. It was fun learning about the immigrants and also going to the Tenement Museum and learning the stories about the Moore family and to top our day off, we finished with a great tour guide through the Lower Eastside, the Bowery, and parts of Little Italy and Chinatown. Overall i'm glad i had the opportunity to take this class. It opened my eyes to a lot of things and i've seen some places that i would want to revisit again.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment