Sunday, September 9, 2012

Quixotic Queens


September 7th 2012 is the day that I embark on my Gotham journey; a journey that awaited me with lots of walking even though I was warned. My day began with the clicking sound of my alarm clock at 7:30 am just so that I will be on time for  the first day of class. As I was getting ready to leave my house at 9:30am, I received a call from Dr. Russo to tell me that it was quite alright if I meet him at Citifield since I already live in queens. I departed my house and went to my friend's house and from there we took the 7 train to Citifield.  I had never taken the 7 train and I was surprised of how it looked because it was not like the typical E train that I am used to taking. Being on the train made me feel like either I was in a different country or I was a tourist. I am guessing it was because of the orange seats and the way the seats were arranged ( something I am not used to seeing on the E train). 
7 Train
   My friend and I arrived at Citifield and waited on our professor and the rest of the students to find out what the day had in store for us. As we were walking through Citifield towards Flushing Meadow Park, I could feel the hot beaming sun on my face and I know I was not the only one because everyone walking either had protective wears such as sunglasses, hats,umbrellas,ect and suddenly I ask myself " what did I get myself into? it is too hot to be walking". After walking in the hot sun we finally made it to our first destination, Flushing Meadow Park. I was relieved to be able to sit down and have some fresh air. As we got settled down, Dr. Russo and professor Meritta gave us some interesting facts on Flushing Meadow Park such that the park was once named " Corona Ash Dumps" because it was filled with ashes from coal burning furnaces. The park became what it is today primarily because of  Robert Moses, a park commissioner who saw great potential cleaned up the park for the 1939 World Fair. The World Fair came to life as a way to allow people to come together and explore each others cultures, inventions, and advancements (http://queens.about.com/cs/parks/a/flushing_park.htm).
Us making our way to the beautiful unisphere
Panorama of New York City
            After learning about the history of the park, we came upon the unisphere which represent global independence. The unisphere stood 140 feet high and 120 feet high in diameter with water surrounding it(http://queens.about.com/cs/attractions/p/Unisphere.htm). I never knew that this place existed and from as soon as I saw it, I was amazed from the rings around it  down to the water trickling on the ground; it was a site to remember and the water definitely cooled me down from the sun. Soon after seeing the beautiful view of the unisphere, we walked inside the Queens museum of art. I am not a big fan of  museums because they  do not interest me but I was fascinated to learn that the museum was the first home of the United Nations and that it houses the Panorama, which was built by a group of architects for the New York's World Fair or 1964. The model represent all of 5 boroughs of New York City  and every building built before 1992 with every little detail. I was stunned of how well put together the panorama was because back then there was no internet so these people had to rely on each other and use their smarts to make sure that they executed everything to the  smallest detail.
           




 


the AMAZING Mango Lassi
Yummy
After all this walking, I looked at the time and saw that it was only 1:45pm. It felt like we've been walking and exploring for hours. I could not focus and all I could think was FOOD. When we took the train to go to Jackson Heights and Dr. Russo said that we were going to eat at an Indian buffet, I was so happy. As soon as I got inside, I did not even waste a minute to help myself. My first plate consisted of rice, curry goat, chicken, and beans along with a drink called Mango Lassi. Must I say yum yum! but it did not stop there because I went back for a second plate. I knew that there was going to be more walking to come and that means more calories burning so I was going to fill up my belly as much as I can and I LOVED IT!. After I finished eating, the ITIS started to kick in and I did not think that I was going to be able to walk any longer; all I wanted to do was find someone to crash but I that could not happen I was destined to explore what Astoria had in store for us.


            We arrived at Astoria via the R train from Roosevelt Avenue. Astoria was predominantly a Greek community in the 1980s. During the 1990s, they accounted for less than half of its population. Other ethnic groups such as, Colombians, Chinese, Guyanese, and Koreans, Ecuadorians, Romanians, Indians, Filipinos, and Dominicans also settled in the area (http://www.astoria.org/astoria-history.html). As we headed down Steinway St, Astoria, we came across New York City's only museum dedicated to the art,history,technology,and techniques involved in making films. Now as I said before, museums do not interest but today Museum of the Moving Image proved different.  This museum was the true "Hollywood" back in 1920s as it was a major institution for film productions. Our first stop in the museum was the 3rd floor and as soon as I got there I was intrigued with all the displays and the history behind them. I got to see the different techniques used to make sounds, effects, music since technologies were not available back then as they are today. I also saw pieces used from different movies such as, The Mask, The Exorcist, Men in Black 3, and the list goes on. Overall it was a beautiful site, not your typical museum.




 Our last stop of the day was Long Island City. As we arrived in LIC, our first site viewing was MoMA PS1. It is the oldest school and largest contemporary art institution in the United States. We didn't actually go inside nor see much so I wasn't interested in LIC until we made our way to 5Pointz: The Institute of Higher Burnin. The Institute is an outdoor exhibit where graffiti artists from all over the world can come and display their art. The artists who choose to paint just come in with their work and paint and it is free of charge. I think this is an amazing idea because as we all know graffiti is not allowed and if someone is caught he or she will pay fines so to have a place where one can come and express his or herself without fear is incredible!.  As the day was coming to an end, we walked over to Gantry Plaza State Park where we sat down and reflect about the day. As much as my feet hurt from wearing those Converse, the day was worth it. I learned so much about my borough that I did not even know existed.



  






           

No comments:

Post a Comment